THIS YEAR’S THEME: THE LEGACY: WOMEN OF STRENGTH, COURAGE, AND HONOR
“Nothing can dim the light that shines from within” Maya Angelou
With the slogan, Bed-Stuy Alive!, this community development activity promotes tourism and stimulates community pride by introducing thousands of visitors to our shops, businesses, distinguished cultural heritage, and the historical significance of one of the largest African American communities in the country. It is always our hope that the visitors who come to Bedford-Stuyvesant with only the images of the neighborhood projected by mass media will see this community in a new light and want to join the next wave of revitalization.
This year, the 12th Bed-Stuy Alive! will begin on Saturday, October 8th, with our Gala Kick-off street event, including the Tohma Y. Faulkner Awards, which honors our community champions. The excitement ends with the 38th Annual House Tour of Bedford-Stuyvesant on October 15th. The Feast Bed-Stuy initiative will feature restaurants throughout the community that will be offering specials all during the week. We are expecting thousands of neighbors and visitors from all over to participate in a week of exciting events.
Gala Kick-off on October 8th
Activities will include:
- Opening Ceremony and the Tohma Y. Faulkner Community Awards
- Information Booths (featuring, elected officials, local and municipal services)
- The Bed-Stuy Heritage Bazaar (featuring merchants and local crafts persons)
- Health Zone (screenings and information from local hospitals and other health agencies)
- Children’s Village (with focus on reading resources and free crafts)
- Savor Bed-Stuy Food Court (local caterers and restaurants will be on hand with great food)
- RESTORATION ROCKS (Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation will host an afternoon of live music on the outdoor stage.)
Events During The Week’s Celebration (in formation)
- Feast Bed-Stuy (Sponsored by Bridge Street Development Corporation –features a moving “taste” of area eateries)
- 35th Annual 10K Run (Sponsored by Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation)
- Jazz Night, Fashion Show, and Gospel Fest (Sponsored by Council Member Robert E. Cornegy, Jr.)
- 38th Annual House Tour of Bedford-Stuyvesant( Sponsored by the Brownstoners of Bedford-Stuyvesant, Inc.)
THE BED-STUY ALIVE! COLLECTIVE MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS
Bedford-Stuyvesant Artists’ Association
Bedford-Stuyvesant Gateway Business Improvement District
Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation
Bridge Street Development Corporation
Brownstoners of Bedford-Stuyvesant, Inc.
500 Men Making a Difference
For More details please see the flier below.
Hope to see you there!